about family god read it make it contact me

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Dare to… deck the halls!

It's time for week 4 of the Dare to DIY!
Did you check out all the awesome entries for week three?
If not go visit KimMichelleRachel, or Chelsea's blogs to see all the creativity!



Week 4's party will officially post on Monday December 10th
This is the last week to link up to this awesome challenge, so if you haven't linked up yet, get some crafting in this weekend!!!
The theme...Dare to... deck the halls!
"..something new to deck your halls".!

Some of you may have stopped by my Etsy Store last week to check out Hoot the Owl.
(Pssst....I'm still offering a 15% discount on any owls ordered between now and the 15th, just use the code DARETODIY)
While you were there you may have noticed I have a few wreaths up for sale too...
One thing I specialize in is taking a photo of a wreath sent to me by customers and creating it for them.
The following is a tutorial on how I created the "Ho Ho Ho Wreath' for a customer.

Here Is What You'll Need:
-1 wreath form, 18"
- 1/4 yd black burlap
- 3 yds red burlap
- 1 sheet of silver foam board
- 3 wooden 'h's
- 3 wooden 'o's
(Optional cutting board, ruler, and rotary blade...you may choose to hand cut your strips, but I promise this is MUCH faster)
Line your burlap up to the best of your ability.
Burlap is messy so be prepared to vacuum when you finish.
Proceed to cut a bajillion 1x8" (or close) strips of fabric.
I was able to get pieces out of each 1" strip I cut.
This is what you have to work with now.
Proceed to tie each strip to your wreath form.
No need to double knot, burlap is good at holding itself in place.
Now keep tying until your wreath is full and fluffy.
Like so.
Once I'm done tying knots I like to pick my wreath up and give it a good shake.
Like a tambourine.
It helps knock off the loose bits.
Now hang it on your door and admire your hard work.
Your thumbs might be sore....
Now it's time for the belt.
Take your black burlap and cut it to measure 4"wide.
Then fold it in half and iron it so that it's 2" wide.
We will trim down length in a minute.
Take your silver foam board and cut 4" off.
Then square it off, so that you have a 4x4" square.
Measure up and over 1"  from each side and cut a 2" slit.
Feed your 2" wide belt through your 2" wide opening.
Wrap your belt around your wreath to measure exactly how wide you should make your belt.
Sew your ends together and trim off any excess.
Then you can wriggle your belt onto your wreath
It might be a tight fit, but you want it to stay.
If it's too loose, go back and tighten it with a new sewn line..
IF you don't sew...you could HOT GLUE this as well.
Now let's finish this...
paint your 'h's and 'o's white.
Allow them to dry.
Now hot glue them right onto the burlap.
Ta Da!
A Ho Ho Ho Wreath for our front door.

Rag wreaths of any variety are an easy way to decorate your front door.
If you are curious about other holiday wreaths check out my other posts here, here, here, and here!

I hope everyone has been inspired by this wonderful challenge!
Now go check out the DIY challenge and see what other people are making!
Get inspired!

I hope you have a Blessed Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. I love this wreath so so much. And I keep thinking I need a wreath like this of my own, but it will have to be a winter-themed wreath because Christmas DIYing has to stop so I can actually enjoy the season.

    Anyhow, It's just lovely!

    (PS. I'm making an owl this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and thanks for linking up to Dare to DIY each week. I have loved all your creative projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This wreath is adorable. Santa would be proud. ;) Thanks for joining the Dare to DIY!

    ReplyDelete