about family god read it make it contact me

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Monster Wreath

I know Halloween was yesterday, but I've been MIA and so I didn't get a chance to share the Monster Wreath I was commissioned to make.
As many of you know I have an Etsy store.
In my store I predominately make and sell teething necklaces, but after a few requests for decorative wreaths I have expanded into that market.
One return customer recently sent me a picture and asked if I could make the following monster wreath.
I knew I had seen it somewhere and being that I want to give credit where credit is due...
Feel free to stop over at BabyRabies.com for the original tutorial and to give her credit for an AWESOME idea.
I obliged said customer and set out to make her a monster wreath all her own.

What You Will Need:
- 1 Styrofoam Wreath Form
- 2 Styrofoam balls (size depends on you)
- 100 yards of tulle (color is totally up to you too)
- Foam board for the teeth
- Scrap fabric for a little bow tie (optional)
- Hot glue gun and glue gun sticks
I wrapped my tulle around a cutting mat that was approximately 18" long.
Then I cut each end giving me a LOT of 18" strips of pretty purple tulle.
It's nice to do it this way because it takes a fraction of the time.
One and done!
Now you can proceed to tie each strip of tulle around your wreath form.
Make sure you double knot.
When you get tired of tying knots you can take a break to take care of your eyeballs.
Using either a black permanent marker or any black paint, carefully color in some pupiles.
Allow to fully dry.

Return to tying knots.
When completed it'll look a little like a tutu!
The next step is one that you just have to eyeball.
I cut my foam board in half and placed it on the back of the wreath to see where the edges of the foam board needed to be cut and to eye ball where I would cut my teeth.
Do this for both the upper and lower teeth.
Then hot glue your teeth in place.
Once your pupils have dried and your eye balls are safe to handle you can glue them on too!
My suggestions is to put a tooth pick in each eye and then use it as a guide to insert it into your wreath.
Before you fully close the gap between eyeball and wreath place a nice glob of hot glue in between, then smoosh together and allow to cool a bit before releasing your hold.
Feel free to trim your tulle a bit around the eyes so that they are visible.

Now I don't have a tutorial on how to make the bow tie.
Basically I sewed 2 rectangles, one large and one small and then I glued them together and attached that to a pin, so that I could easily swap out bow ties.
I'm sure you can do the same thing without sewing and using only hot glue.

Anyways, without further adieu....here is the finished product!
With Green Bow Tie
OR
Orange and Black Checked!

I don't know that I ever would have thought to make this critter if it hadn't been for the tutorial at BabyRabies.com, but I'm glad I did!
It's good to get out of your comfort zone and try new things.

Have you ever followed a tutorial from another blog?
If so what did you make?

I hope you have a Blessed Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment