about family god read it make it contact me

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Bats

Did you know that Austin holds the largest urban bat colony from the months of March-November?
The summer is really the best time to go see the bats as the days are longer, allowing the visual aspect to be easier.
Bud & I have gone to see the bats every summer that we have lived in Austin.
It's one of the things I will miss dearly when we move.
I know, you wondering..."Who would miss bats"?
Well, I will!
It's because of the bats that Austin doesn't have nearly the problem with bugs as most cities.
Those are ALL bats!
More specifically, the Mexican Free-tailed bats take residence under the Congress St. Bridge, all 1,500,000 of them.  Each night the devour, approximately, 10,000-30,000 lbs of insects!!!
By the time the bats leave in November they have nearly doubled in population.
They start flying out from under the bridge at dusk and you can watch them
 fly out in a constant stream for literally 45 minutes, at least!
Short & sweet tonight.
I hope everyone is having a blessed Thursday and is amping up for Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. I have always thought that was so cool! Definitely something I want to see someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Austin once long time ago and I remember those bats! They are good for our environment!

    ReplyDelete