Promise Me This is the tale of Michael Dunnagan's promise to a near stranger.
A stranger who saved him from a life of abuse, sacrificed for him during the sinking of the Titanic, and taught him how to have hope.
Promise Me This is also the story of this stranger's sister Annie, left behind to wait in England until the groundwork was set for her to make her own voyage to America.
Michael and Annie have one thing in common...Owen, the stranger/brother.
When Owen discovered Michael in an alley he did what he thought best and got the boy some work.
When Owen discovers Michael a second time as a stowaway on the great Titanic, he does what he thinks is best yet again by taking this boy under his wing and again promising him work.
Owen teaches Michael everything he knows about gardening and as the days pass he grows to call Michael brother.
Michael makes one promise to Owen and that is that he will help him work to save up enough money to get Annie to the states.
The Titanic, as we all know, goes down.
Michael survives.
Remembering that he made a sacred promise to Owen, Michael does all he can to hold up his end of the bargain.
Meanwhile, Annie, having lost everything and being tortured emotionally by an Aunt who hates the very thought of her, does everything she can to protect all she has left.
When all that she has left is suddenly threatened Annie must disappear.
Upon receiving news of Annie's disappearance, Michael ventures back across the seas and right into the middle of WWI to find Annie and make right on the promise he made to Owen.
Cathy Gohlke author or Promise Me This
I am not one to pick up books riddled with romance.
Nor am I one who typically reads book about the Titanic.
However, receiving this book from Tyndale.com gave me an opportunity to read something that I normally wouldn't have looked twice at.
I'm so thankful for the opportunity, as I have now discovered an author whose writing style sucks me in!
Cathy's passion for her characters is exposed in each page of this book.
The depth of their emotions and the continual ebb and flow of this book pulled me in so deep that I could picture the sinking Titanic, the graphic war scenes, and the characters in a context all their own.
My heart felt each emotion as though it were personal.
The extreme hatred towards Eleanor Hargrave and her wicked ways.
The deep pain of having lost everything that Annie faced again and again.
The growing hope that Michael developed in his new life.
I highly encourage everyone to get a copy of this book!
If you like books about the Titanic, but wanted to know more about the people who voyaged with her, this is your book.
If you like books that touch on the war, this is a book for you.
If you like romance, this is a book for you.
If, however, you don't think any of these categories fit you...I still encourage you to read it.
I was skeptical and now I'm a believer!
My only comparison would be to Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.
In my eyes this book far surpasses that love story.
Please find a reason to buy this book, your heart will thank you!
I received this book free from the publishers through the Tyndale House book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." |



I absolutely love your banner with Mommy/Daddy feet flanking baby--So Precious!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your amazing review of "Promise Me This." You captured the heart and emotion that I felt in researching and writing this story--one of the greatest adventures of my life, and my song of praise to our Lord.
I hope you'll look for "Band of Sisters," my next novel, to be released Fall 2012 from Tyndale.
God bless!
Cathy!
DeleteThank you so much for stopping by, glad you like the banner :)
I was so honored to get to review your book.
I hope to get to do so again in the future and I hope to get my hands on some of your past pieces!
Your writing style is exactly what I needed in my life.
Have a Blessed Weekend!
Hi there, You won the tiny heart ring giveaway by Cherry Creek Designs over on my blog, Chic on a Shoestring Decorating. Please contact me and I'll get you in touch with Cherry Creek Designs. Congrats! :)
ReplyDelete