about family god read it make it contact me

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Bells & Holly

What are your holiday traditions?
Is there something your family has done each year that you are doing or want to do when you have kids?
Do you go to the tree farm to pick out a tree?
Do you have special recipes that are saved for once a year?
What makes the holiday season special for you?
Being a military family I decided a few years ago that it would be neat to get the state ornament for the state we are living in every year, going back from when Bud & I got married.
I am still working on obtaining the 2004 Kansas Christmas Ornament, but here is what we have thus far...
2005
"Kansas, the 34th state to be admitted to the Union, 
marks the 34th coin to be issued in the United States 
Mint's popular 50 State Quarters Program, and 
features a buffalo and sunflower motif, emblematic 
of the State's history & natural beauty"
In 2006 Bud & I uprooted to Texas and I have to say the Texas ornaments are by far my favorite!
They are all so elaborate and detail oriented!
2006
"The Goddess of Liberty"
Read more about her here
2007
"In the 20th century, the decorative glass in 
the capital was sometimes broken and 
removed.  Replacement glass not always matched 
the original  and sand blasting rather than acid 
etching was often  used.  During the 1990s Capitol
Preservation Project, decorative glass was reproduced 
using the acid etching process to better match 
the original.  The sand blasted glass was removed 
from the building so the original glass can shine." 
2008
"The Rotunda Floor"
Read more about it here
2009
"Capitol hardware, including the elaborate door
knobs and escutcheon plate featured as the 2009
holiday ornament, are decorated with incised
designs of geometric and stylized floral motifs."


"The use of a proud lone star to symbolize the
independent spirit of Texas dates back to
March 12, 1836".


The Seal of the State shall be a star of five 
points encircled by olive and live oak branches,
and the words "The State of Texas."
Texas Constitution, article IV, Section 19.
2010
"For 15 years, the Capitol Ornament has celebrated
the magnificent architecture of the Texas State
Capitol.  But these decorations do more than show
the building.  To date, the sales of the ornaments
have generated more than 5 million dollars to
assist in the preservation and interpretation of
the Capitol, ensuring the landmark will continue
to inspire Texans for generations to come.
As many of you know we have been stationed in North Carolina and that means a new state's ornaments!
2011
this ornament is in en route to our home now
"Season's of the Capitol: Spring"
"Part of the sub-series of our popular ornament
collection Seasons of the State Capitol.  Pictured in
front of the State Capitol building, the Dogwood, the
oldest of the state symbols which was adopted in 1941,
can be found on the Capitol grounds as well as
throughout the state."
 Of course we have a few other very special ornaments...
This one was made by my husband's sister-in-law!
I told her that all I want for Christmas is more
ornaments like these!
This is one of Bud's ornaments, much to my disliking.
He is representing his love of all things Longhorn.
I'm still working on finding a rustic KSU ornament....
let me know if you find one! 
A fun ornament from my Dad.
We have a special box it goes in so it doesn't
get broken.
My mother purchased this ornament for us...
for more on the story of The Christmas Pickle
read here
We also have a new special ornament...
"...not a creature was sturring, not even a mouse".
This little ornament was a gift to Bitsy from
 or friend Suzanne.  If you haven't been by her
blog you should!  Doesn't it seem that Bitsy's
name seems better suited for the mouse?
Especially as she grows bigger and bigger?!
I purchased our first star this year.  Our trees have 
never had a star, but when I saw this one I KNEW 
it fit in with our rustic/Texan feel!
When Bud worked at the Texas State History
Museum he purchased 2 of these LARGE Jingle
Bells...They look wonderful on either side of the
mantle. 
Last year I purchased this "be merry" banner from Alicia.
If you aren't familiar with her blog you should stop by and
say, "Hi"!
 One of these years I'll make us all stockings, but in the mean time...store bought will have to do.
Bud's new Texas Stocking
My new stocking.
I may not like snow or all things cold, but
I do have a special place in my heart for
adorable snowmen!
...and here is Bitsy's stocking!
She also get's a snowman, but he
delivers a special message of
HOPE!
Last but not least, let us not forget what this
season is all about.
HE is the Reason for the season.
My mother has been slowly buying me each
piece for this nativity set and I love it!
So what are your traditions?
Do you get a special ornament each year?
Do you have a count down to Christmas?
Share your traditions here...Bud & I are trying to think of what traditions we can start now that our children will grow up with and remember and maybe pass on themselves!

I hope you had a Blessed Tuesday!

P.S. Don't forget to enter the give-away here, this give away closes TONIGHT!

5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea!! Our tradition is whenever we go on vacation we buy an ornament for our tree. As we are hanging the ornaments we tell what our favorite part of that vacation was. We did this when we were growing up and I passed it down to my children. It's a great way to remember all the wonderful trips and memories that we made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...one of our traditions is that Kevin makes a tree topper angel thing with HIS face on it. Gotta love it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do a cake for Jesus every Christmas... we open our stockings on Christmas Eve... That's about it for our special traditions. I think we need more!
    I'm off to read about the Christmas pickle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We go to church on
    Christmas Eve and then
    open stockings {everyone
    gets everyone else a stocking
    gift}. In the morning, the
    kids open stockings from
    Santa {yes, stocking #2} and
    we have a lovely Christmas
    breakfast. Then, we open
    presents and cozy up around
    the house. Prime Rib and
    yorkshire pudding for dinner.
    We always have those English
    "crackers" at the table that are
    filled with small gifts, a joke,
    a paper hat, etc. No matter
    where we are celebrating, those
    things remain constant : ) I
    know you are having fun building
    new traditions with your sweet
    family. Love all your ornaments
    and of course, Bitzy's, too!

    Hope your week has been full
    of joyful moments since Monday.
    Thanks for linking up and sharing
    your sweet post!

    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your ornaments and I like " the story " behind every one ! We have a tot of tradition in my family new and not so new ...:)I believe this is what keeps a family together .
    Enjoy a warm and gentle season !

    ( visiting via Suzanne and really enjoyed your blog )

    ReplyDelete