about family god read it make it contact me

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Baby Diaries #42

Just dropping in with a quick update on Bitsy and her cold.
After 5 days of Bitsy not improving a called and got a 2nd appointment booked.
Again we were unable to see her normal pediatrician, but I figured any appointment was better than no appointment.
The doctor we saw though, rubbed me the wrong way.
First off we had to weigh Bitsy.
She weighed in at 19lbs and 6oz.
Supposedly having dropped 1 WHOLE lb since we'd been in 5 days prior.
It was the same scale and everything, I think it was off, because 2 days later I got Bitsy on our scale at home and it said she was 20lbs 6oz again.
I doubt she really fluctuated that much.
Anyways when I expressed my initial concern about the weight loss the doctor shrugged it off and said, "she looks fine".
She proceeded to ask me how well Bitsy was eating.
I replied, "Okay, appetite is down a little due to the congestion".
She then asked, "How is she drinking"?
I replied, "That would be one in the same".
She looked at me confused and said, "So what formula are you supplementing her on"?
"Nope, this baby is 100% Mama".
(Our regular pediatrician would have NEVER asked that, he knows that breastfed babies (at least mine) are big and healthy).

We moseyed into a room where she took Bitsy's heart rate and oxygen levels.
She told me that Bitsy looked well hydrated so she wasn't concerned about that.
Here's the kicker.
She then said, "But why don't you give her some Pedialyte in-between feedings".
I didn't ask any questions I just listened.
The doctor also prescribed one of these:
To give Bitsy every 4-6 hours depending on how she sounded.
We left the doctors office and I decided immediately that I wasn't going to get any Pedialyte.
After getting home I gave Bitsy her first dose with the inhaler...
and laid her down for a nap.

I was then prompted to do a little research regarding Pedialyte vs breastmilk.
My original thoughts to myself were:
1. If her appetite is down why would I want to give her Pedialyte instead of milk when she does want to eat?
2. My breast milk has natural antibodies that help fight illness
3. breast milk helps with hydration so why wouldn't it be good enough
4. introducing an inhaler and Pedialyte to a body that has only consumed breast milk seemed a bit harsh.

So what did my research uncover?


I'm glad that I listened to my gut.
Our pediatrician that we normally see is SUPER supportive of breast feeding.
I know that not all doctors are.
Obviously, this doctor was not as supportive.
Bitsy has been using the inhaler to remove the cold from her lungs and decrease her wheezy-ness she is getting better!

Oh! And before I forget let me tell you a quick tale of how I had my first Mommy-MYOB moment.
(MYOB= Mind Your Own Business)
While at Hobby Lobby, the day after Bitsy's second appointment, I was getting fabric cut.
Bitsy coughed.
The lady cutting my fabric, didn't look at me, but remarked:
"Sounds like someone needs to go to the doctor".
Mind you this was not a voice of concern or playfulness, but a condescending voice.
I was so taken aback!
I took a moment and then responded in my sweetest baby voice, directed towards Bitsy:
"We've already been 2x in the last week, haven't we baby girl, and you are doing SO much better already"!
The lady didn't look at me, didn't respond, just handed me my fabric and walked away.
I knew that becoming a Mom meant I would receive unsolicited advice, but this was my first encounter and I don't think you are ever prepared for it.
Oh, well...let's focus on something happier...
Bitsy smiling in her sleep.
I continue to encourage her long naps since they seem to help her heal faster!
...but we still have LOTS of play time too.
See how close she is to rolling over.
That belly....oh how I love it!

I hope you had a Blessed Tuesday!

10 comments:

  1. Poor Bitsy!!! And yuck about the doctor... seriously? Why would you be adding formula? Yuck. Sorry you had to go through that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems there is a group of doctors that seriously don't think babies can gain weight on Mama's milk alone. Too much has been taught about the inability to produce enough milk for babies via Mom alone. Thus why they think supplementing is the reason for a healthy baby. Sad.

      Delete
  2. Those myob moments are even better when you have a baby and are pregnant with your second and your wedding ring doesn't fit cause you're so far along and you look like you're a teenager even though you're 10 years older than most people think. That's super fun living in the bible belt. A momma's instincts are never to be questioned, as you've proved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had many moments at the Doctor where they lacked bedside manners and treated me as if I were cattle trying to get me in and out as quickly as possible. It's rare to find a Doctor who actually cares and LISTENS. I'm sorry for your icky experience but good for you for listneing to your gut. A woman's intuition is usually spot on. I know mine is!

    As far as the MYOB... grrrrr some people are just so rude. Why do we live in a world so quick to judge?

    Little girl is the cutest. Growing so fast. That belly just melts my heart. Eeeeek. Hope her health continues to improve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Jess! Bitsy is doing so much better, dare I say she's totally recovered?
      And yes that belly melts my heart too!!!!

      Delete
  4. Poor Bitsy. I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biz:

    I know you aren't of the "you should do this..." but, from experience when I was breastfeeding, Caleb had gotten a REALLY bad cold. To the point that he had gotten an ear infection. After clearing up the yuck, he was still getting the wheeziness sound. Our Ped. prescribed a nebulizer and a TON of refills, for 10 days he did 3 treatments a day for 7 minutes each and you could instantly hear how clear he sounded after the neb. treatment. Now when he gets a little wheezy I just give him a treatment and it clears him right up. Don't know if you are interested in reaching out to your actual Ped. but this might be helpful for your little one too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! Bitsy is all better now. We didn't even have to use the inhaler today. Seems the inhaler was enough to open we lungs up and clear out the wheeze. I've been borderline asthmatic my whole life so I know the benefits of a nebulizer, I only had to have a treatment a few times but it's amazing how quick it can clear you up! I'm sure I'll keep that in mind the next time she is sick :)

      Delete
  6. Poor Mason just had 24 hours of a little bit of pedialyte just to see if his tummy was able to handle something in it. The doc thought if he didn't have a virus (which we still aren't clear on) that he might be allergic to my milk... I just tried breast milk today, so we'll see in 24 hours how he holds up. I HOPE he is not allergic, I will be so upset if my bm is the cause of his tummy issues. If tonight goes well, we go home tomorrow!!! yay! Definitely trust your mommy instincts!! Your a fab mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post! The best thing you can do as a mama is trust your gut ;) So glad you stuck to nursing and it is working out for you!!

    ReplyDelete