about family god read it make it contact me

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blind Spots

Today was a perfect day, one of those days when everything just seems to fall into place and even the unexpected seems planned.  At the last minute last night Bud got a phone call to go to the movies at 11:50pm.  I was already beyond sleepy so I told him to head out and have a good time.  Of course as soon as he left I was unable to fall asleep, go figure.  So I picked up Breaking Dawn and read until that sleepy feeling returned.  At 8:15 this morning I awoke and anticipated that Bud would be sleeping in, after all he didn't get home from the movies until 2:20am.  I stumbled out to the computer and started to read through a few other blogs, check my email, etc.  At 8:30 Bud popped out of the bedroom awake and ready to start the day.  We had already anticipated staying home and watching our church service  live online this morning.  So since we still had about an hour until church began we ate breakfast and then crawled back into bed with the laptop.  Today was the last service regarding The Dream Maker. It's possible it was my favorite in the entire 4 week series.  Here were some key points:

 The biggest dream killer is self deception.

  •  Jeremiah 17:9-10 "The heart is deceitful above all thing and beyond cure.  Who can understand it?  I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve."
  • It's possible that I may be deceived, but I won't know it.  Someone will have to tell me.  
  • This self-deception is a Spiritual Blind Spot.  We aren't aware of these blind spots.  People will have to point them out to us, but we may still ignore them because we justify these blind spots instead of focusing on them and learning how to fix/adapt/correct/change them.  
  • Self-justifying our actions prevents us from listening and becoming better
  • Luke 11:34-36 "Your eye is the lamp that provides light for your body.  When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with light.  But when it is bad, your body is filled with darkness.  Make sure that the light you think you have is not actually darkness.  If you are filled with light, with no dark corners, then your whole life will be radiant, as though a floodlight were filling you with light."
  • God loves us too much to leave us in the dark
Humility
  • Proverbs 11:2 "Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."
  • We need to WANT to hear & see how we can be a better person.  Show me the things that I don't see, the things I need to change to succeed.
  • Matthew 23:12 "But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."
  • Psalms 139:23-24 "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life."
Finding a Personal Board of Directors
  • We need to SEEK people who will be brutally honest with us.
  • We are blind to our faults AND our strengths
  • Proverbs 15:22 "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success."
  • Those people in our Personal Board of Directors need to be people we can trust to go to with financial questions, relationship questions, parenting questions, etc.  They can be multiple people.  We need to go to them and we need to know that we can trust their counsel.  This will help protect us from self justifying actions, from blind spots, and from disobeying due to a lack of understanding.
If you can't tell this really was such an awesome topic that I took a lot of notes.  After our church service Bud & I fit in our 30 minute workouts and promptly came home to bathe the boys!  Upon successful completion of washing 2 dogs we met up with JF & his girlfriend MS to have lunch at Green Mesquite a great BBQ place about 5 minutes away.  Upon returning home it was unexpectedly decided that the 4 of us should head to Barton Springs.  An hour and a half later Bud & I were back home chillaxin for a few hours.  Bud is now off to a poker game and I have grand plans of finishing laundry, tidying up a little, and settling in to read another 60+ pages in Breaking Dawn.  I really hope everyone had a blessed weekend & I'll see ya'll tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment