Brings back memories.
I was in high school. More specifically I was in Chorale Choir class.
Someone rushed into the class room shouting that a plane crashed into the twin towers.
I responded with, "Nuh uh, that's not even funny". Seriously, I thought they were joking. After all the choir room is right next door to the acting classroom.
When it dawned on me that they weren't joking, I remember my heart falling. I remember wondering, what does this mean?
I remember that as we shuffled from class to class some teachers didn't even touch their lesson plans. Some teachers flipped on the classroom televisions and we spent that class period watching in horror as they replayed the first plane and then the second plane hitting the twin towers. Other teachers tried stoically to push through the day, teaching subject matter as though nothing had happened, as though America was not being attacked. I remember an outcry from several classmates as we attempted to talk our teachers into turning on their televisions. Why wouldn't they let us watch, why were they ignoring this.
I lived outside of Ft. Riley,Kansas for 8 years. My dad was stationed there. It was a military town, well 1/2 of it was military. Us military brats knew that when something of this caliber struck family members were going to war. We knew there would be action, we didn't understand how people could ignore it.
After school I went home, I sat in front of the television for hours watching and re-watching the same footage. In the days to come all of the local restaurants, stores, etc all changed their signs to read something along the lines of "God Bless America". I remember going around town and taking pictures of each and every sign. I remember for weeks to follow I bought a copy of the paper.
I wasn't yet dating my husband, in fact he was at basic training during this time.
I look back and realize that neither my father, my husband, or his brother were ever deployed to fight. God had a different plan for them. After Bud and I had been dating for a while his reserve unit got activated. He was part of a garrison support unit. This meant that when they deployed all of the Military Police from Ft. Riley to go to war, his unit was used to replace them. He was blessed. It's probably the most tragic event of my generation, an attack on US soil. It's something that we will NEVER FORGET. I still have the newspaper dated 9/11/01, someday I'll be able to show my children.
![]() |
| We will never forget. |
I had an appointment this afternoon and while I was talking with the lady I mentioned that I would be moving eventually. She asked where, I told her and they the inevitable question followed, "Why"? When I mentioned that Bud would graduate and commission into the USAF she said, "Oh, that's sad...will he have to deploy"? Because I understand that people DON'T understand, I politely explained to her that there will probably be times when he does, but that I was okay with that. She couldn't understand this.
I am okay with that. I am so proud of my husband. He knows that God is calling him to serve his country, my brother & brother-in-law have been called to serve his country, my father served this country, my father's parents, my uncle all served in a military branch. I come from a long line of military. When I was young I used to think I could never marry a military man, because I hated moving. Now I am so happy that God changed my heart. I have a desire to move, to travel and experience all his creations. I know that I will be a part from my husband during the next 20ish years. I know that, unfortunately, he will miss things: birthdays, anniversaries, etc. The difference is that I am already aware of this and I am not sad or disheartened by this. I only wish I could have changed her opinion today (the lady at my appointment). I wish that when you read this if you know anyone who is a solider that you'll step out and thank them. That you'll pray for them...and their family. Don't feel bad for me, I am SO proud that I will get to be a military wife. I am SO proud of my family and their commitment to this country. I am so proud to be an American Citizen. Thank God for our freedom and thank the troops for fighting for it!
*crawls off soapbox*
I hope everyone has a blessed evening!
P.S. Book review blog should post tomorrow, I had some trouble with having it typed up and it not saving. Also, Boo-tiful Rag Wreath tutorial is almost ready...can't wait to post it! Obviously, I had bigger things to blog about tonight, I'll see you tomorrow!


I just love your attitude about being a military wife! Your willingness to do what it takes!
ReplyDeleteWe all remember where we were on 9/11. I will never forget. I still have the newspaper too.