about family god read it make it contact me

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Baby Diaries #1

So the big question lately is...
"How did you tell your family"?
Let's just say this was a well thought out plan that started some time ago.
Do you remember back at Christmas when I mentioned that we gave all the family photo albums as gifts?





















Well we did that with the promise that we would start sending them all real tangible pictures.
See, we kept getting complaints because people don't send real pictures anymore and everyone expects you to be on Facebook to see pictures, etc.  So we decided to change that.
Fast forward to the last week of March I'm 13 weeks pregnant and finishing up my 1st trimester and it's time to tell the family.
So we sort through iPhoto and pick the best pictures from Christmas through current to send to the family.  Each photo has a sticky note of when, where and what is going on in the picture so that family members can update their photo albums.  The last 2 pictures in each batch were the sonogram pictures!
We dropped them off in the mailbox Sunday night and prepared ourselves for the waiting game.
When would they check their mail, when would they call, how will they react?
My Dad in Michigan got his on Wednesday.  But he had already known we were pregnant since his birthday in February (My Dad was the last one to find out I was getting married so I was hoping to make it up to him, but telling him first he was going to be a grandfather).
We told my brother-in-law TH over the phone before he deployed so he wouldn't find out on Facebook, he was excited!
Thursday Bud got a phone call from his brother and sister-in-law.  BH's first comment was, "Dude your having an ALIEN"!
That afternoon 5 minutes before I was getting off work I got the call from my Mother.
Apparently, she had had a down day and she was in shock when she checked her mail.  She's been calling almost daily ever since telling me how in shock she is and giving me advice from all and anyone she talks to.
When I got home I called my Grandmother, in Hawaii.  It was her 70th birthday and I was calling to wish her a Happy Birthday and to ensure she had rec'd her birthday card.  Grandpa hadn't checked the mail yet so we continued to chat and finally I was "wrapping" up the conversation and I said, "Oh Grandma I'm really bummed your birthday card didn't get there in time".  This prompted her to check the mail herself at which point she read the card and then started to fawn over each photo with me.  Finally she read the sticky not on the front of the last photos that said OUR FAVORITE PHOTO OF 2011.  When she pulled off the sticky note I heard the gasp and then in a near whisper, "Biz.....your...pregnant"!
I replied with "Happy Birthday Grandma, now you'll be a GREAT Grandma"!  She rushed and handed the photo to my Grandpa and said, "look at these Great Grandpa".  I heard my Grandpa say, "Biz?  It's about time"!
Finally, at 7pm we hadn't heard from my father in law yet and we were frustrated.
We called and Bud explained that we had send the first batch of quarterly photos and that I was worried I hadn't put enough postage...my father-in-law has a PO box at the post office about 1 block away from the parsonage so he decided to go check and he'd call us back.  30 MINUTES LATER! I say to Bud, "Did he walk heel toe the whole way there and back"?
The phone rings and Bud says, "Hey Papa Bear".  His Dad replies, "Hello Papa Bear"!
It was a great way to finish off the telling the family.
Oh, but wait....what about Bud's Mom?
I have a video for that...let me set it up.
We hadn't sent Bud's Mom her pictures yet, she's a prankster so we decided we were going to tell her on April fools day.
We asked BH if he and his wife would help us out, we asked them to call Mama Dear on April Fool's Day and tell her they were pregnant.
My brother-in-law texted Mama Dear saying:  How does Nana **** sound?
My Mother-in-law nearly ran a red light and then she called BH and yelled at him, apparently they had pulled that April Fool's joke on her 2 years ago and she wasn't having it!
So cue Bud & I....



Now everyone knows!
Life is good!
I hope you all had a Blessed Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love it!!! His mom is so cute!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to tell family!! I can't believe you kept it a secret that long!! I called my mom crying the day I found out I was pregnant with Miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biz, thank you so much for your donation to our Dream Big fundraiser, it means the world to us:) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness... I just started to cry while I was reading this!!! I wish so much that we were real life friends instead of just real blog friends!! =)

    ReplyDelete