about family god read it make it contact me

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Blueberry Buttermilk Scones

I eat cereal everyday for breakfast.
So when the weekend comes around, it's nice to have a little variety.
Yes, I know that I'm home everyday of the week, but even stay at home mommies treat the weekend a little differently!
So I decided that to make it special today I'd have my first go at making scones.

Let me start off by saying I learned 2 interesting things this week.
1. You can make your own buttermilk.  1 cup of butter milk requires: 1 Tablespoon of vinegar and filling the rest of the cup up with milk.  Then let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. You can also do the same thing sans vinegar, substitute lemon juice instead.
 So today I made my own buttermilk for this recipe!
 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (I thought I'd do this route instead of the vinegar today, because lemon and blueberry sound like a good combo)
 top off with milk and in 5 minutes you have 1 cup buttermilk!

Now onto the scones..
Ingredients:
 2-1/2 cups flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup blueberries
1 egg
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup COLD butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat your oven to 400 Degrees
and line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.

 Whisk together all your dry ingredients

add in your cold butter and gently mix to create a crumbly mix.

Next, in a separate bowl whisk egg and buttermilk together.

Pour over flour mix.

Using a fork mix well

Your dough will/should look like this.

Gently fold in your blueberries.

On a lightly floured surface spread knead a handful of times and then spread into a square/rectangle.

You'll then cut your square/rectangle into 6 squares/rectangles
Then cut them again diagonally to create the traditional scone shape.

Place on your parchment paper and back for 18-20 minutes.

When done, set on rack to cool.

Finally, enjoy these delicious breakfast treats!
If your feeling extra fancy you can always make up some icing to drizzle on top
using the recipe here!
If you were feeling like being a bit healthier, use wheat flour instead of white.

I hope you all have a Blessed Saturday!
five days five ways | feature friday free for all

2 comments:

  1. I will have to make these!! They look super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do look really good. I am always looking for new breakfast treats that Will can grab on the way to PT in the morning. I'll have to give this one a try after we finish off our Almond Poppy Seed Bread, lol.

    ReplyDelete