If you typically don't read non-fiction, this is not the book to start on.
When I set out to read Bonhoeffer I was intrigued by the synopsis of what this book would cover.
"Eric Metaxas takes both strands of Bonhoeffer's life-the theologian and the spy- and draws them together to tell a searing story of incredible moral courage n the face of monstrous evil".
(the above is an excerpt from the back cover of this book)
Being a college graduate and now a stay at home mom I thought that it wouldn't hurt to choose a book that would challenge me and teach me something.
Unfortunately, I may have chose the wrong time in my life to take on such a massive book. 542 pages that seemed to move so slowly between my fingers.
If you enjoy history and if you enjoy biographies, than by all means I encourage you to pick this up and give it a whirl.
If, on the other hand, you are like me and you don't typically pick up pieces of non-fiction or biographies for that matter than I might recommend that you hold off.
Unfortunately, I did not complete this book. It is getting shelved for the time being.
Maybe when I don't have an infant vying for all my attention I'll pick it up and give it another go around.
I am still very intrigued by Bonhoeffer and all that he did and accomplished in his life, just not right now.
I received this book free from the publishers through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."


i read this book about 6 months ago
ReplyDeleteand was good for nothing to everyone
while reading it
loved it and
couldn't put it down
but then
i'm a huge WWII buff
love bios
and anything history related
it ticked all the boxes for me
pull it back out
when you're not sleep deprived
and while you're at it
be sure to read Unbroken too
another great true story
thanks for sharing!
alison
I always love finding book reviews by real peoples. :-) I'll be checking back now that my babies take good, long afternoon naps. I need to get back to reading!
ReplyDelete